Visual Alert UB for Valentine One®
Visual Alert for Escort® and Bel®
Base to Face Angle examples
(pigtails are now shorter)
|Having a Radar Detector on a motorcycle is useless unless it alerts the rider effectively. Relying on the detector's built-in lights and beeps is not enough so riders have tried many different approaches. Some have wired up helmet speakers tethering them to the bike. Others have installed screaming loudspeakers that annoy everyone within earshot. Others have installed expensive remote controlled lights mounted inside their helmets that depend on batteries and complex electronics. All of these methods can be inconvenient, unreliable and not very effective. Installing accessories in your helmet can even be dangerous. The Visual Alert answers all of these concerns. |
What is it: The Visual Alert consists of a small black box equipped with ultra-bright red LEDs that flash in concert with the detector's beeps. As the beeps increase in frequency so do the flashes until they become a steady glow as you approach the radar or laser source.
Here is a nice youtube video that Phil Parker did featuring the Visual Alert.
Here's how it works: The Visual Alert plugs directly into the detector's earphone outlet. There are no batteries or complex electronics to wear out or fail. The Visual Alert is powered by the detector's earphone output alone.
Applications: Currently the Visual Alert is being produced for the following detectors:
- Valentine One® equipped with Valentine's audio adapter
- Escort® 8500, 8500 X50. These two are essential the same and are older but excellent units.
- 8500ci Plus, 9500i, iQ, Redline®
- Escort® 9500ix There were two different models produced. The most common one uses my standard Visual Alert for Escort. It can be identified by the first two digits of the serial number including 33, 22, 19, 35. The other model was produced for mass merchandisers like Walmart, etc. Most of these serial numbers start with 7. In order to use this one with my Visual Alert I need to add a pigtail to your unit. The actual Visual Alert that works with these units is special for this application. Please call for a quote.
- Beltronics Pro® (all models), RX (all models), GX65, Vector® 895, 955, 965, 995 and V series® (all models).
Specials: Please call me at (714) 842-9210 in reference to the following detectors.
- Escort® 8500ci/9500ci do not have an earphone jack but can be wired direct to the speaker via a pigtail.
- Escort S75G, MAX, iX, MAX 2, MAX 360, Redline EX, The New Escort (41744) and Escort Bluetooth (1620x50) will not operate from the earphone jack but can use a custom 6 LED Visual Alert when wired direct to the speaker via a pigtail.
- Beltronics STiR Plus® and STi Magnum® use my standard Visual Alert for Bel when wired direct to the speaker via a pigtail.
- Laser Interceptor uses my Valentine One® Visual Alert but I have to change plugs for you.
- Radenso Pro SE Moto Radar Detector for Motorcycle uses my standard Visual Alert for Bel with a couple of modifications to the plug and to the earphone cord exiting the detector.
- Uniden R1/R3/DFR7 uses a custom 4 LED Visual Alert when wired direct to the speaker via a pigtail.
The Visual Alert will unfortunately not work with the new Escort 8500 x50 without an earphone jack, X70, S55, Solo® (all models) or 4500® and older models, the Beltronics STi Driver®, Beltronics 940®, Uniden LRD950® or the Harley Roadtech 75®.
The Valentine One® model comes in two configurations. The standard unit has 4 LEDs and is now 30% brighter than the original 5 LED model. I can also custom build the Visual Alert UB (UltraBright) with 8 LEDs which is only recommended for special applications where it has to be mounted extremely far from the rider. Its 8 LEDs can be too bright in low light situations. Please note that the top two pictures to the left are of the original 10 LED unit. I will update the picture shortly.
Mounting: The LEDs have a wide viewing angle which allows the Visual Alert to be mounted conveniently and still be in your line of sight. I have mine sitting on top of my Valentine One® which is attached via a RAM mount to the left side of my handlebars. The Visual Alert comes standard with the face at a 52° angle from the base which helps point it towards your eyes. I can supply the Visual Alert UB with most any angle you specify at no extra charge. The Visual Alert can be mounted using hook and loop fastener or double sided tape for a more permanent fixture. Mounted directly on top of your detector it easily moves from bike to bike. Mount it on the bike itself and your detector moves easily between your bike and car.
Specs: The Visual Alert is machined from solid black polyethylene. The internals are encapsulated in epoxy which makes it extremely weather and shock resistant. It comes wired with a heavy-duty cord and right angle plug approx. 24" long as standard.
See price list below for specific models available.
|Valentine One Std||4||1.2"||1.00"||1.00"||None||$59|
|Valentine One UB ||8||1.2"||1.00"||1.00"||Base Angle Cord Length||$95|
Optional Configurations: Since the Visual Alert UB is custom built I can modify its:
- Base to Face Angle (std 52°)
- Cord Length (std approx. 24")
at no extra charge. You can specify what you'd like in the space provided below or leave it blank for the standard configuration.
If you have a mounting area that points towards your eyes such as the top of the instrument cluster on a K1600 BMW or on top of the GPS mount on the LC GS BMW, I can cut the Visual Alert down into a small stealth rectangle only slightly thicker than the LEDs themselves as pictured on the left. I refer to this as a wafer cut. Bear in mind that if you mount the Visual Alert in such a way that it does not point at your eyes it won't be effective. If you're not sure then you're better off ordering it with it's standard configuration and testing it first. If after experimentation you would like the base angle modified you can always mail it back and I'll re-machine it for you at no charge. If you would like the wafer cut modification now just leave me a note in the space provided during checkout or call 714-842-9210.
Please view the Installation Instructions for more information.
Important Warning: Due to the brightness of the Visual Alert it is essential that the detector be turned off or the volume be turned all the way down or the Visual Alert be disconnected in low-light conditions. Failure to do so could result in temporary reduced vision possibly resulting in an accident. It is the owner's responsibility to use the Visual Alert in a safe manner.